Wednesday, 1 October 2014


Why a Road Never Travelled?

As well as a metaphor for this point in my life, taking time to care for my needs, it also has a literal meaning. Each day I am walking a road (or pavement) to improved health and wellbeing that can only be achieved by regular exercise and improved nutrition, this is a road I have never really travelled...

This is an excerpt from an email I sent to Angela my personal trainer on 22nd August.

I am a 52 year old woman, medically obese and unfit. Although I'm happy to say my cholesterol levels & blood pressure are low and I have never smoked.

I am not working at the moment following 'burnout' until April I was CEO of a charity, working long hours plus driving 100s of miles each week up and down the A12 to commute to my office. Reluctantly I had to leave; I spent 3 months transitioning the charity to a sustainable place. It was very hard, (more difficult than my divorce) my life and identity was wrapped up in the charity that I started 10 years ago but I recognised I couldn't maintain working at that level indefinitely.

I am planning an extended trip to Thailand for 4-5 weeks in October. The majority of the time will be spent at a mindfulness/recovery retreat. I've experienced many significant life changes this past year and feel this trip is important for my emotional and physical well being. I recognise that the time to make Healthy changes is now rather than wait til I get to Thailand. I am also concerned that I will struggle physically with the huge change from my current sedentary lifestyle. I know I need to do some preparation but am at a loss to know where to start? I know I need expert support and advice.

I am grateful that Angela took on the challenge! We met soon after at my home when I had to complete an extensive lifestyle/history questionnaire and discussed my goals etc. The following week on Thursday 28th August I met her at the Gym for a gruelling hour; I thought I would die right there and then! I could barely walk when I left, I hurt so badly and carried on hurting for days, I had another session booked the following Tuesday which I cancelled because I was so sore and was concerned how I would manage a trip to Dublin a couple of days later if I couldn’t walk! Angela sent through some scary numbers, weight, BMI, body fat and visceral fat readings. It didn’t take a genius to work out that I was too heavy for my 5’2” frame and my fitness levels were too low....

Dublin was amazing; I watched what I ate and walked (strolled) for miles around the City. During my time away I was mindful not of the scary numbers but they way I’d felt after just one gym session, bloody terrible, unfit and way older than my 52 years! But Angela had convinced me that I could improve; she had asked me what would get in my way? My response was only me! I could come up with a dozen excuses but I wouldn’t, I didn’t want to feel that way anymore. So after Dublin I got serious, starting most days with a walk, kept an eye and recorded everything I ate and within a month I received this message from Angela....

It has been a pleasure working with you so far, and seeing the big improvements.  To go from where you were, to where you are now takes courage, and the improvements are there in the results you have already achieved.

 

I will spare you (and me) the scary numbers but my weight has dropped by 6.8 kilos which is just over a stone and on the walking test I have more than doubled my fitness level in 4 weeks!!! Yay!!

 

What is most amazing is that I am loving it! Getting out in the morning listening to great music while I pound the pavements, I’m not going to lie, I get out of breath, my legs ache, they burn and it feels like torture coming up the hill but I keep going one step in front of the other, as I do I visualise all the muscles cheering me on, thanking me for finally giving them the care, nurturing and exercise they need to do their job effectively! This is truly loving myself, taking care of my body so that I will be around for a long time to come!

I am a great believer that when you are ready the right teacher will appear, for me her name is Angela (that name is no coincidence!). It really does work when you work it and with her help I am a little fitter and better equipped for Thailand. More importantly, having inspired me to take control of this neglected area of my life, I am determine that this will be for the rest of my time on this planet!

Anne xx (4 sleeps to go!)

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment