Day 12
The only way I know what number day I've reached is the "Sleeps at NLF calendar" Ive drawn which is pinned on my notice board, it has 30 hearts on and each morning I put a little cross in one to show that's another night gone, otherwise I wouldn't have a clue...
My dear friend Uli left today, we arrived together, she is from Germany, almost 50 years old and a mum to 2 adult kids so we had much in common. She had stayed as a volunteer for 12 days. She works as an art therapist and has taken 6 months away from her work as she was feeling exhausted. She has been travelling around Asia, her husband is due to meet up with her in Laos so they can spend some time together. Sad to say goodbye but wished her well.... People come and go all the time. I've struck up a new friendship with Ruth a lady from Israel, she too has 2 adult children and is here volunteering for a short while.
This place is such a melting pot of different characters, ages and cultures. I feel bad as an English person only knowing English.... There are also people here from Holland, Belgium, Japan, China, Norway, France, Guyana, Switzerland and others all speaking excellent English. Then there are Canadians, Americans, Australians, Irish, Scottish and a few English..... Where else would u have such a mix?
We had evaluation of Goals this afternoon. My first goal, to write for an hour a day was achieved no problems.... People were impressed at that, I think it is interesting that something that one person finds difficult another finds simple....
My second goal I didn't think I'd done so well at.... To be more frivolous, childlike and joyful.... Firstly it wasn't a SMART goal, certainly not Specific or Measurable... But with the encouragement of my small group they made me realise that I had done some childlike things! (No one mentioned that I threw a tantrum and walked out of the workshop either!) Mainly it's the amount of dance I initially reluctantly took part in (like I had a choice? They are mandatory activities!) I've actually enjoyed it very much.... Yesterday's workshop was fun, I've forgotten what it was called now. Thankfully we didn't have to look someone right in the eye and connect with them while dancing! We were encouraged to close or half close our eyes, which enabled me to feel like I could dance and no one was watching..... All sorts of music was played from Monks Chanting, Bollywood, Disco, Reggae, African, Rave (or house, or garage, or club or hip hop?? Who knows?) Pop and Ballet... For an hour and a half flitting around the lovely cool circle forest awakening hall... That felt pretty childlike! There has been a lot of dance this week, including my own solo one in the forest during a walk, while I listened to my Rock Your Run App play Motown in motion Tracks.... Heard it through the grapevine, My Guy, Dancing in the Street, Set me Free why don't you babe, Baby everything is Alright, Ain't no Mountain High enough... To name a few, I couldn't remember the names so I just has a quick listen, on my ear phones, it's noble silence time, and I had a little jig! Pretty frivolous don't u think? And that's breaking the rules too! yay! So My group said I'd achieved both my goals...
Next week, I continue with the writing and I've added a swim 5 days out of the 7... That seemed realistic rather than saying every day, I've had to avoid the pool coz of my eye infection which is almost cleared now, helped by the drops and ointment. Thankfully I didn't need to take antibiotics or anti-inflammatory tablets. So I had a lovely swim this afternoon before dinner, just one other person in the pool, nothing better than floating in cool water gazing up at a clear blue sky.... I say that knowing most of u are huddled in warm jackets looking at a grey sky full of rain clouds.... Ha ha my how I will feel the cold when my plane lands at Heathrow! That will teach me for gloating!
One of the highlights of my day is the early morning walk, leaving here at 6am about 10 minutes before sunrise. When it does boy what a spectacle, a huge red/orange ball rising through the silver mist that kisses the tops of the trees...
My favourite route is past the lotus flower lake, pink, purple and white flowers open as the sun beams down awakening them from their sleep shielded by huge leaves that look like upturned green umbrellas all facing the same direction basking in the sun...
I never realised there were so many shades of green, so many different plants and trees, dainty pink flowers that look like tiny Pom poms with deadly sharp thorns, yellow, white and blue flowers make the sides of the path look like an artists palette splashed with different coloured paints. My one regret is not bringing a decent camera, the iPhone doesn't capture the beauty... The leaves are always heavy with dew first thing and intricate spider webs that glisten like a silver bridal veil... Unspoiled Nature in all it's splendour, nothing man could make would come close which makes me appreciate and reinforces my belief in a Higher Power.
That's enough of all that flowery stuff for now... What can I say? It inspires the poet in me somewhere!
So another busy day over.... Started off with a singing meditation, which I've mentioned before, followed by a Hugging meditation.... Now I like a hug as much as the next person.... But I did initially feel uncomfortable about this... You bow and make eye contact with someone then hug, taking a deep breath becoming aware of your presence, then a second breath to become aware of their presence then a final breath to acknowledge the both of you together, then u bow and hug someone else! I felt sorry for a lot of the guys who had to bend down to reach me shortie that I am! When it came to Uli, my friend from Germany, we both had a little tear in our eye! It was a lovely way to start the morning and to also say goodbye to my friend.... Not sure that it will catch on at home though? Or maybe it will, not all Brits are stiff upper lip types!
Well that's your lot, my little bed is a calling me....
Hugs (can't get enough of em!) Anne x
Hi Annie, how I envy your early morning stroll. It was easy to drawa mental picture of the sun rising. And the flowers waking showing off the beautiful colours. The peace and tranquility is just what is so lovely. It would be worthwhile if you went to town look out for camera. It wouldbe so nice to make up your own scrap book. Something you could always look back on. Each day holds something different fo you, such a great adventure.
ReplyDeleteSending you lots of love and hugs. God bless always. Love you mum xxxxx����
Delete