Monday, 20 October 2014

Day 15

Exactly 2 weeks ago I walked through the gates here at NLF... A young woman from UK arrived today, I guess she was on the same flight as me a fortnight ago. Rena, who is actually 33 so not that young except when compared to me, is here for 6 weeks volunteering. I felt quite the mother hen as I showed her around, especially where Mamas is, we had a Pineapple Smoothie (gorgeous!) together. She gave up her job in Risk Management for Network Rail to travel, after traveling around Asia for a few months she's going to Barbados to do a yoga course! A different world......

It's all relative, I know to many of my dear friends (and me) this is a big adventure but to most of the people here is not that big a deal! Matthew, an American guy aged 24 years a talented musician/songwriter, left here last week with his guitar and a tiny backpack containing everything he has in the world, it was about the size of the one I took on plane for hand luggage, he simply walked out the gate and hitched a lifted to??? Who knows where!

I just think oh what about his mum? Surely she must worry! He's been on the road for over a year.... I guess it's character building and perhaps it's easier when you young?

I am v excited coz I've found a company that offer a more luxurious experience on the Mekong River, it's a bit more expensive but they serve lunch, it has a bar and an area undercover to escape the sun.... They have English speaking staff and they will take care of all the arrangements. I'm happy to pay a bit extra for the peace of mind... I had a tiny fluttering of guilt that it was "cheating" but I've nothing to prove to anyone and as I remember someone wise telling me once before, "if there's a door use it, you don't have to break down the wall to get through!"

Another nice day, I like the breakfast shift, it means by 8.30am I've finished my work for the day! I did some more washing and rigged up a line in my bathroom to avoid having my knickers on show for all to see! I retrieved all the annoying ribbon loops they put inside tops to keep them on coat hangers and tied them all together. They made a colourful washing line Be Prepared, was the Girl Guide Motto and haven't lost my resourcefulness. It got me thinking about the things I would bring if I were to come here again....

Top of the list would be sheets and pillowcases. I'd be too embarrassed to pass onto the RSPCA the ones they have here! They are clean, is about all that can said about them! I'd probably make sure I had more music downloaded coz I'm getting a bit fed up with the same old tunes! A camera would be another essential and of course a lesson before hand so I could easily upload pictures..... A plug-in insect repellant would be useful too.

That made me think about the things I grateful that I bought...
In true X Factor style and no particular order
Kettle, fruit tea bags and cappuccino sachets
A photo of my kiddies
My orthopaedic cushion and fold away pillow
iPad
My trek shoes (or trainers if u not in the know!)
Mirror (I thought useful for mascara application! Not used it for that but has been a godsend for plopping in my eye drops)
Eye mask to block out the sun during afternoon nap (thanks Lucy)
Small bum bag to keep valuables in under clothes (again Lucy's)
Mosquito repellant (although they have still bitten me)
Torch
Special water bottle with clip
Painkillers

Things I should have left at home
Iron, not used once
Hair dryer ditto
Pack of playing cards ditto
A variety of necklaces and earrings ditto
Bag of makeup ditto
A dozen or so bottles of lotions and potions for my skin
Sandals with buckles, far too much bother when u have to remove before entering a building

Something I've been doing a lot is reading, I just completed a fantastic book by Sonia Choquette called Walking Home: A pilgrimage from humbled to healed. It's published by Hay House, a spiritual read and the true story of her 500 mile walk of the Camino de Santiago over the Pyrenees & across Northern Spain.. It's a very moving story, she embarked upon the trek in order to heal following the death of her brother, father and break up of her marriage. The Camino, it's called a journey of forgiveness. I identified a lot with her journey and am certainly glad that I chose an easier route to healing, acceptance and forgiveness!

Now I'm reading Bridget Jones, Mad about the Boy, and loving every silly page..., Bridget is now 50 and a single parent.... No, the lovely Mark Darcey (the equally lovely Colin Firth in the film) didn't dump her, he got killed, so she's a widow with 2 little kiddies and 4 years after his death a "Born again Virgin"... V funny, I hope they make it into a movie... (And yep I identify with that book too...especially her dating rule No 1... Do Not Text When Drunk! Been there I'm afraid to say!)

As I came to my room tonight 2 Geckos were doing their best to get in! I sent them scurrying off, although the main creatures I want to keep out are the mossies, I had one in the room last night and the blighter bite me alive, my ankles look slightly deformed they have so many angry red lumps! I was advised the best thing for the bites is tiger balm, I bought a jar from the store just along from Mamas, another enterprise that sells just about everything, including petrol, the jar cost less than 50p and is great stuff. Of course there's the constant hum from the crickets all night, the occasional dog and then the cockerel starts up early! Together the whirl of the ceiling fan it's pretty noisy here at night compared to home, where it's pretty silent, unless Tia Maria (our cat) decides she wants to stay out late then changes her mind around 2am and cries until I let her in! Ahh but I do miss that ball of fluff! There's a cute cat here buts she's tiny compared to Tia.... She does love a fuss so it's nice to spend time petting here when I'm missing home....

The first day of the Vipassina today (the silent retreat) gosh they look miserable! Does enlightenment do that? Perhaps by day five they be all floaty, serene and tranquil! Maybe when I chat to the guys about it I will regret not taking part? I kinda doubt it though!

Well I've waffled a lot and at 9.15pm I'm ready for my bed! I've loved hearing from you.... It's so nice to know that some of you are enjoying my wittering on...... It truly helps me to feel connected to home (and that's where the heart is I'm glad to have rediscovered!)

Namaste

Xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment