Thursday 9th October
Day 4 at the New Life Foundation (to be said in a Gordie accent, like Big Brother! Go on, indulge me.....)
Left Colchester 6am Sunday Morning, arrived at Chaing Rai airport 10am Monday morning (local time 6 hours ahead of UK) I was actually travelling 22 hours so as I sat in the comfy taxi for the half hour journey to New Life Foundation (from now on NLF) I was sleepy, we drove past fields of green with isolated little men on foot with huge sun hats tending the crops, no machinery in sight, it was in the villages that the cows and chickens seemed to be wandering free by the road side unattended, no fences to keep them safe, it seems they don't waste their precious fields on livestock... I had a small map and directions in Thai from the website but the cab office at airport knew where the foundation was, I paid the fare to the office up front as requested 500bht that's 100bht less than the website had estimated, total cost in sterling £9.50, for a half hour ride no traffic so quite a distance and he carried my luggage to the door and bowed! You can just imagine that happening at home can't you!
Two ladies, Madeline and Katie greeted me like an old friend, the programme starts now said Madeline, so please remove your shoes when inside.... So that's why there was a chaotic pile of flip flops outside the door! Oops.... Now I'm on day 4, I start off wearing them but as I go from building to building I forget which door I left them at so end up walking bare feet most of time, which apparently means I'm settled in, although after the Thai field workers captured a Cobra snake this afternoon, I will make sure I keep something on me feet crossing the grass!!! ( no they didn't kill the snake, captured and let it go somewhere "safe"! They are Buddhists, slippery dangerous snake or not)
There was quite a bit of paperwork to complete then Katie, a lovely young Irish girl, showed me to my room, No4... I was given one tiny toilet roll to start me off, then I have to purchase my own for 5bht that's less than 10p... I had a couple of hours to unpack before lunch, Goodness I bought so much stuff!! I don't just mean clothes.... Im definitely an "older" traveller no getting away from it... I've a special memory foam orthopaedic cushion with a gap at the back for me poorly coccyx (which makes sitting a problem so I was v grateful for it on the flight) during the flight I wore flight socks in case of thrombosis, they were a struggle to get on I can tell you, especially with my calves! I've a shed load of medication, creams potions and pills for any kind of ailment u can think of, including constipation and diarrhoea ( who knows how my bowels will react to a vegetarian Thai diet?... So far so good!) I've already started handing meds out, the wise old woman with the drugs, to people with ailments without any.... I also have a special Physio strap contraption and tubeigrip bandage for my tennis elbow (not that I've played tennis since school!) Of course I have a kettle with lots of fruit teas, hot choc sachets, cappuccino sachets, coffee and coffeemate, an iron, hair dryer lots of books including "The age of miracles, embracing the new midlife" plus several others, that's without the load I've on my kindle app (including the St James Bible), plus audio books, novels and more self help stuff and guided meditations plus of course lots if easy listening tunes, 6 pairs of flip flops and sandals ( which maybe wise as I keep losing them!) and of course lots of clothes for all occasions incl a PAC a Mac, (yep u did read that right, it's the end of rainy season so I'm prepared in case) 3 swimming costumes, sun hats, sarongs, over a dozen pairs of knickers.... You get the picture.... Lots of stuff, but I am here for 30 days was my rationale when I packed the case at home... did I mention a mirror, a framed photo of me kiddies, a pack of playing cards and my Angel reading cards, 3 torches and a couple packets of spare batteries..... Oh yes I'm well prepared!!
Lunch was great, not sure what a lot of it was but it was tasty vegetarian fare, still don't know what a lot of it is, the Thai cooks come in everyday to prepare... Most of it is grown/produced here, the veggies, fruit, even the rice. The ducks produce the eggs and cows milk, butter, cheese and yogurt.. It's truly amazing and makes u appreciate the food chain, at home we are so disconnected from the stuff in plastic trays we buy in supermarkets... As I type I'm finishing off some dragon fruit and melon, it was picked yesterday by either a resident or volunteer, the whole community help to make this sustainable....it's truly amazing how they make it work.... I guess the chilled atmosphere and the sunshine helps.....
So first day I was given a tour, the foundation is based on 65 acres of land, there is a temple just outside opposite the gate and a cute outdoor cafe called Mamas that sells food, (meat if u need protein, it's totally your choice if u eat meat or fish here, u can buy and cook it yourself in the kitchen if u like, there are no strict rules about that kind of thing! I haven't felt the need yet) and ice creams, they also do massage and your laundry cheap, (30bht a bag less than 60p) their free wifi is faster than NLF and doesn't get switched off like it does here, (none on Weds) so many people congregate there, especially the smokers!
People staying here are friendly, smiley and helpful, I'm not the oldest one here as I feared I would be! Even the doggies are chilled and friendly! After evening meal there was a women's circle meeting, sitting on cushions in a circle in a room lit by candles with flowers strewn on the floor lots of bowing, meditating and sharing, it was v moving I felt a bit emotional, but by then I'd been "up" about 30 hours so no wonder really, I'd tried to rest a little in the afternoon but couldn't switch off... I was glad of the torch (I may need 3! Actually I've given one away already!) walking back to room coz it is totally dark and the paths are a bit hazardous! I had my second shower of the day and slipped into bed, glad that I opted to pay for an extra mattress (£30 for the 30 days) because the "beds" are like wooden planks, the mattress that is supplied is about 2 inches thick, I've already mentioned my poorly back haven't I? You'll be fed up hearing about it by the end of this! Lol! Not as much as I am managing it though, not forgetting the tennis elbow as well! Just imagine how sore my bum gets with all that sitting on the floor and meditating! Good job I have built in padding! How glad am I for that, plus of course my special cushion which comes everywhere with me!
As I posted on Facebook I didn't sleep much that first night, although it was my first proper day, I was allowed to miss the first activity of the day at 6am, (which was either yoga, meditation, tai chi or a meditation walk) because of jet lag. But I was still awake to hear the gong at 5.30am, which wakes the community, as I was awake I decided to go to breakfast at 7am, noble silence is observed until the community meeting (more sitting on aforesaid bum) at 8am.... It is then that new people are welcomed and people that are leaving say goodbye, currently I think there must be about 40 people staying here (apart from the outside thai staff) that includes, staff, volunteers and residents( that's me). Issues are discussed, news exchanged, expressions of gratitude are shared, info about the days workshops is read and the work schedule is given out... Everyone is included....
Lots more to write, but I don't want to bore u my friend and besides it's sleepy time for me, the gong will go off at 5.30am and it's now 11pm... Lovely to hear your feedback, forgive me if I don't get around to responding right away, the internet is a bit unpredictable and the day is pretty full on and emotionally draining, but don't get the impression it's hard coz it's truly like paradise, which was the exact word,I thought during my swim this afternoon before dinner, as I watched everyone, happily chilling out, accompanied by one very talented guy on guitar singing (Matt, leaving next week after an extended stay here, off to busk around Australia-As u do!)....
Signing off now, love, light (still got 2 torches) and laughter
A xxxx
Glad you are settling in and having a wonderful time stay safe and soak in all the positiveness mate xxx
ReplyDeleteBloody hell Anne. Reading the list of what you brought with you I thought you were staying for a year. Lol xx Enjoy
ReplyDeleteLoved reading your blog. I was disappointed yesterday but you have made up for it today. Hope you have batteries for your torches. I never thought I have one that you wind up so no need for batteries. Take care. God bless love you. Mum xxxx
ReplyDelete