Sunday, 12 October 2014

Post 6:
Sunday 12th

This time last week I was cocooned on a flight headed to Bangkok full of anticipation and more than a little anxious I have to confess! The nature of this place is that after almost a week, and having settled into the flow, I feel like a veteran! Giving guidance to "newcomers" who arrive almost everyday which means others leave, it's a lesson in transient relationships (I stole that phrase from Tara, a lovely young American woman who was particularly kind to me one morning after I'd had a "blubbing" session with life coach. She'd approached me to compliment something I'd share in the women's group about being a mother, I was totally unable to string a sentence together to respond! We laughed about the irony of that after. She's now moved onto someplace else after being here around 10 weeks)

There is a structure here but it is not ridged, I was horrified to learn that sometimes people don't make it to the 6am slot... Not great a breaking the rules....

In addition to the 2 life coach sessions a week there are workshops every afternoon. So far I've been to creative timeline,which is producing a visual representation of your life with the milestones represented by colours and  symbols/pictures. The example Sonya shared had lines of different colours which represented the significant people, parents, siblings, partners, children.... Which had I have gone with that method it would of ended up looking like a confused London Underground Map, given my lot and the number of years I've been on the planet! So for a change I planned it out first.. Born 1962 and noted all the years that I remembered something happening of significance there were a lot of births, as I'm oldest of five and have four of my own kiddies so they were represented by pretty pinks and lilacs, then the years that I remembered something sad happening the colours were dark... You get the picture.... So with my draft I took a couple of pieces of A4 and started, ended up using 5 sheets sellotaped together length ways the finished piece, now hanging on my pin board is almost as tall as me! Pars, (an amazingly interesting Swedish guy, late fifties, he's been travelling for the past 4 years) said it was typically British and very creative! How sweet!

Thursday afternoons workshop was way out of comfort zone, Biodanza dance in the forest hall, the aim is to inhabit our body as we are so often disconnected from it!!! Started off in a circle holding hands about 20 people Diana Ross, I'm coming out, and moving to the music, holding hands like a big ring a roses.... Lots of great tracks and different instructions, connect with someone's elbow, head, bum etc reminded me a bit of musical bumps.... Picture if u will a room full of strangers, in the afternoon, not a drop of alcohol consumed to loosen up me hips, lots of amazingly nimble, fit, talented dancers strutting their stuff and me! To be fair, they not all great dancers or even that young.... There's no hiding in a corner! (Especially not in the Forest Hall coz it's round!) you can't get away with it so in the end somehow(?) I just got lifted by the great tunes and had a very joyous fun time.
Which was then slowed right down, we had to lay on the floor, which was heavenly because it was so cool after dancing around for an hour everyone was v hot and sweaty, then an Eva Cassidy track was played followed by "in the arms of an Angel" more blubbing, and I wasn't alone! Thankfully the session ended with everyone in the circle with another great Disco classic... The power of music to create moods and tap into feelings and emotions is incredible!

So on Thurs I had a 40 min brisk walk, and hour and half of dancing and a swim, all this physical exercise (well it's a lot for me, boy am I so glad I worked with the lovely Angela to improve my fitness before I came here) unfortunately still not helping with the sleeping....

On Friday a group of us went into the nearest Town, Chaing Rai. Brian a long term volunteer ordered a couple of San-Taos(no idea how to spell?) which are sort of minibuses with bench seats running lengthwise and a couple of grab rails on the outside at the back that people (not not me!) hold onto if it's full up inside. It's a set cost for the bus so the more people on board the cheaper the fare is to each person... Seat belts? What are they? Lol! The journey was an experience in itself.

Once we were dropped off I went along to a meeting with a few of the guys then wandered around the street market, so many interesting things to look at. What I was most surprised and grateful for was that no one calls out to you, pounces on if you stop and look at a stall, that makes me feel so uncomfortable. I get so panicked about the haggling thing too.... I was in search of a towel a store/stall had some brightly coloured ones hanging up, I asked  how much, 500bht, a bit more than I expected (around £10) but I needed one and it was a lovely purple so I gave her 500 and she gave me 400 back! I'd misheard her so the towel cost less that £2...

I walked around the food part of the market a few times, lots of interesting things to look at, some not so appetising like fried crickets and other insects! I played safe and had a dish of Pad Thai, noodles, chicken and egg. It was tasty and cheap. I had to answer a call of nature while I was there, which was an experience.... You pay 2bht and have to take your own loo roll in, fortunately I had tissues, those of you who are well travelled may not of been as surprised as I was at what was inside... Squat loos, a bucket of water and a jug is how u flush!! There were no hooks for bags, the floor was wet, I hope with the water from the bucket but not everyone had a good aim so maybe not clean water! I was wearing white linen trousers, which I tried to pull up towards my knees to prevent the bottoms getting wet but then also had to pull them and me knickers down and forward in order to squat above the hole while balancing several bags to pee!!! I won't suggest u picture that, it could put up off your dinner! Next time.... Well I vow there won't be a next time, on way back I told one of the girls, oh you don't want to use those, she helpfully said a bit late though! Have to see the funny side, well I giggled to myself at how ridiculous I must of looked! At least there was a door, something to be grateful for!

Well that's me hour of writing up! Am tired this evening after an adventure of a different kind today. a more civilised trip into town by taxi to local hospital, I have  conjunctivitis (thank goodness for spell check!) I woke up with a red weepy eye on Saturday which got worse and is clearly infected. Got to hospital, a lovely ornate building, spotlessly clean, outside space with fountains and a children's play area. I was checked in right away by receptionist that spoke good English, observations taken, examined by doctor, diagnosed and reassured that v common condition because of Change in climate, was prescribed  eye drops, ointment, antibiotics and anti-inflammatory pills (a bit OTT) and I'm thinking how much is this going to cost?? The bill presented on an invoice in English with the medication came to 695 bht that's less than £14!!!  At home the medication alone would cost £32 at £8 per item and I'd probably be still waiting to be seen!! I asked for them to call a taxi, the lovely girl from the pharmacy walked me through the corridors of the hospital and showed me where to wait.... I was outside after less than 15 minutes!

That example of the difference between our two countries will make me depressed if I dwell on it too much, but it makes you think!!

Time to have fun putting in my drops.....

Namaste x




1 comment:

  1. So look forward to your blogs and daily adventures. The week has flown by already and you seem have to done so much. All is well. Take care. Sending love and God bless Mum xxxx

    ReplyDelete