Friday, 7 November 2014

Continued.....

First day after New Life

After a delightful leisurely breakfast of fruit, yogurt and muesli in the sunny garden I asked for someone to call a tuk tuk to take me to the station to catch the bus to Chiang Khong. She insisted I didn't need one because it was a short walk away, I had to insist I did need one because of my heavy luggage. Not for the first time did I regret bringing so much stuff with me! She kindly negotiated the price with the driver before I stepped aboard, it was a short drive and In daylight a familiar route not at all scary as it had seemed the night before! The driver took me direct to the bus, spoke to the driver and had loaded on my case before I knew what was happening!

The bus was old, basic and already half full, I checked with the driver that we were headed in the right direction, we leave at 11am he said. Thankfully I had a bottle of water and dried fruit and nuts with me, the journey was to take 3 hours, the bench seat was hard and was designed for tiny Thai people rather than "voluptuous" British women! I sat on the "double" seat with my hand luggage rucksack beside me to prevent anyone else sharing my space... Almost time to leave, the engine had started and I was relieved that I still had my space, when a final influx of locals joint the bus, women with children, the bus seemed to groan under the additional passengers and I reluctantly smiled and gestured that a lady sit next to me with her cheeky, smiley toddler who had beautiful big brown eyes... So there was now three of us sharing the seat.... The fare was baht65 (£1.20) it had been my intention to inquire about a more comfortable VIP bus at the station which I had heard were available, but once again, I'd got carried along and felt like a passenger to someone else's plan.....

So I chastised myself for being a "princess" and being so ridiculous, it was 3 hours, so what if it was a bit uncomfortable? Didn't they say we should "embrace our suffering" at New Life? It was hardly suffering anyway! Not an ideal way to travel but it was a means to an end.... I popped in my earphones and listened to Russell Brands new book on audible app.... Revolution.... His familiar London/Essex accent didn't fit with my surroundings, especially the liberal use of swear words... It reminded me of something that the life coach had said at our final session after my Life Story, I have, she said, the London/Essex way of speaking, I'm the "salt of the Earth" which will appeal to ordinary people because I speak in plain language from the heart which makes it meaningful, accessible and inspiring! Me and Russell! Who'd of thought we'd having anything in common! But we do, we are both "common" lol!

The journey passed by uneventfully my travelling companions left the bus after an hour or so, such a calm little one, no tears or tantrums, nothing to play with, no big bag of sweeties to "keep him quiet" on the journey, all the children seem the same, calm adored by their parents/carers but not indulged... So I was able to spread out a little on the seat. People got on and off at random places seemingly in the middle of nowhere, some young lads, aged around 13 years got on laughing together, playing on their mobile phones, just ordinary teens, apart from their bright yellow Monks robes, I wondered why make that choice so young?

The bus abruptly stopped on a busy main road, their version of A12, by a small shelter and several Tuk Tuk drivers... We had "arrived"! A cocky young English guy was arguing with a tuk tuk driver saying that 50 was too much to pay for the ride to the border, what if there's more of us he said? I stood by my luggage surveying the scene totally confused! The young guy asked where I was going, thinking I could travel with his group reducing the fare... (A reminder that bhat50 is £1!) I wouldn't share with him on principal moaning that the tuk tuk drivers were ripping him off! iPad in hand I showed one of the drivers the details of my hotel saying I wanted to be taken their directly.  How many? I was asked several times, just one I replied to be met with surprise, surely it's not that unusual for a woman my age to be travelling alone? Seemingly it is! Eventually after much talking to several drivers and discussion amongst themselves, they agreed to take me for 250... What choice did I have? Everyone else had departed, I was by the side of a motorway at their mercy, I just had to trust.... It was about a 15 min ride along bumpy unmade roads once off the main highway, I was hot, thirsty and very windswept! Once I've checked into hotel I'm going to order a long cool drink....

As the Tuk Tuk approached a large complex, I was surprised to hear then see loud music and a small crowd which resembled the greeting at the gate of a Butlins type holiday camp! We drove onto the site, some of which was magnificent, some still a building site.... We parked at reception and 2 women came and greeted me, the driver started to unload my luggage and I showed them the booking voucher on the IPad.. I was NOT at the right hotel!!!
It will be 2000, the receptionist said in broken English... For what I said? You can stay she replied! No I've booked and paid to stay here I pointed to the iPad. I asked to be taken to this hotel....

Half an hour later, following frantic calls, negotiating a new price with Tuk Tuk driver I was dispatched at the border... I was reassured by the manager of the "right" hotel that a driver would pick me up at the border.... A 3 minute ride from where the bus had originally dropped me off, what should of been a baht50 fare cost me 400 and any serenity I had left totally gone! I was totally in the dark as to what was to happen next at the border my passport was checked and stamped I was told I needed a photo, which I had somewhere but couldn't remember? So that would be baht 100, I needed US$36 for visa, I didn't have any of that currency! There were forms to complete, questions to answer, I went from one desk to another, dragging the luggage behind me all the time Wanting to cry like a bloody baby....

I guess u get the picture? Eventually, after getting on one bus, then off again, coz it was the wrong bus, I crossed the Friendship Bridge into Laos.... The driver disappeared so I managed to drag the case out from the hold, went through passport control finding myself facing a group of tuk tuk drivers.... I withdrew some Kip the currency of Laos from the ATM and once again took out the IPad.... I want to to this Hotel.... Blank stares and lots of chat amongst themselves.... Now unable to hold back tears, it had gone beyond a farce and had turned into a bad, dark, B movie type horror! So absolutely ridiculous that if watching at home, I'd never believe it plausible. But it was and I was in the staring role of this miserable mess!!!

The place seemed deserted of Official employees, I found a young girl asking please do u speak English? She nodded sympathetically, I need to get to this Hotel I said frantically showing her the IPad... She pointed to an impressive hotel high above us on the cliff beyond the border station, it's there she said.... You can walk..... I can't, I replied, I have too much luggage indicating my now hated overstuffed bag... Please tell the drivers I asked gratefully, someone loaded my case onto a tuk tuk, how much I asked? One said 200 another 300 then they glared at each other.... 200 then I said... It was a short but very steep ride up the side of the cliff, my luggage was unceremoniously dumped in reception and I gave the driver the agreed fare.... The smiling receptionist said our driver went to collect you.....

Goodness me, if you still reading this congratulations for not pressing delete.... The room was huge, all very gaudy and gold.... An amazingly comfortable huge bed, when I stepped out onto the balcony I could just make out the tuk tuk drivers below.... Now breathe Anne I told myself, the ordeal is over, you are here, you've arrived a little stressed but no real harm done, a bruised ego is all, you really should of been better prepared.... Make a cup of tea, have a shower and it will all be fine...... (Famous last words......)

As the late great Frank Carson said.... There's more..... TBC.....

1 comment:

  1. Seems fact is stranger than fiction! Looking forward to hearing more on your return
    Lots of love
    Gina xxx

    ReplyDelete